The Project Developer will be responsible for the complete project development lifecycle from project inception to start of construction. The successful candidate will be involved in wind and solar PV projects. Activities will cover all aspects of development including environmental studies, permitting, engineering, landowner and other stakeholders’ engagement and management, site selection, interaction with Eskom to ensure feasible access to the national grid, various government permitting requirements and a number of private sector permissions. The Project Developer will also be part of Mainstream’s bidding efforts to the REIPPPP and bringing Preferred Bidder projects to Financial Close, as well as supporting other Mainstream teams/ departments as and when required. Photogrammetry
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist on as well as manage a number of wind and/or solar projects, referred to below as assigned projects.
- Deliver assigned projects on time, on-schedule, within budget to agreed quality.
- Ensure that projects are identified, developed and executed in line with Mainstream´s corporate values, development goals, objectives and processes.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY: Follow all Mainstream and South Africa health and safety procedures. Be fully responsible for the health and safety on each assigned project.
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES: Oversee / manage external consultants appointed for assigned projects.
- REIPPPP: Assist in preparing projects for DOE’s procurement process, ensuring accurate documentation and filing documents. Development of projects for non-REIPPPP customers might also be required.
- PUBLIC OUTREACH: Participate in EIA public participation processes as well as manage community engagement for assigned projects.
- PERMITTING: Manage the permitting processes for assigned projects.
- LAND: Arrange landowner meetings; design and issue landowner newsletters; gain familiarity with the full land agreement processes and all involved parties, including land agents, landowners, Mainstream employees, local recording offices, land title agents and insurers, etc. Assist in securing land agreements as required for project site, access, grid line etc.
- SITE SELECTION: Apply Mainstream site selection criteria and evaluate any new possibilities.
- GRID ACCESS: Prepare required documentation to engage Eskom in securing grid access.
- ENGINEERING: Oversee / manage external consultants appointed to perform preliminary engineering studies and site design.
- Document and administer all project related information, as required.
- Be involved in relevant industry bodies’ committees and initiatives.
Identify and communicate on a timely basis all project barriers and risk, together with the strategies and approaches to overcome those barriers and risks.
Key requirements for success in the role
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Educational background in Engineering (note however that the role does not include detailed engineering design work), Science, Environmental, Planning Related Disciplines, or Renewable Energy.
- Minimum 4-5 years’ experience in renewable power development is required. Wind and solar PV experience preferred.
- Driver’s license required.
- Project management experience is required, and a project management qualification would be an advantage.
- Candidates should:
- Have excellent written and oral communications skills and be comfortable presenting to management at all levels.
- Be able to liaise with project stakeholders particularly landowners, many of whom are Afrikaans speaking.
Ability to use Microsoft software packages such as Word, Excel, Outlook is essential and ability to use specialist software packages e.g. GIS, MS Project, SharePoint is an advantage.
- Well-organized, self-motivated punctual, detail-oriented, enthusiastic and confident.
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in a team environment and also independently.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise, and meet reporting deadlines.
- A "can-do" attitude that demonstrates hands-on accountability for their work.
- Able to think conceptually and strategically.
- Able to anticipate problems, effectively seek out pertinent information which identify the cause(s) of a problem and select the correct solution.
- Able to maintain the respect and confidence of team members and have a courteous and helpful manner.